Friday, August 24, 2012

Passive Aggressive

I talk for my dog. I admit it. She has a voice and sometimes says inapropriate things. I know parents who do this with their children too. But it's called to my attention that I can be passive aggressive through her.


Hey guys, I'd really like to go outside!
 For example, we'll be walking around the neighborhood and I'll see a neighbor out watering her plants. Not feeling the most talkative, I'll stop for a few minutes and then "Charlotte" will need to get back home to eat, or nap or lay around. Why can't I just say Ok, I need to get going. It's safer for my dog to need me to leave. It's more comfortable if I have an excuse. It keeps me from any awkward silences or misteps.

But the reality is that lawn watering lady doesn't care how long I stay and chat or if I just walk by and wave. My interaction with her is a much bigger deal in my head than in real life. I think I'll keep Charlotte's voice confined to the privacy of my home where Barry can laugh at her ridiculous antics.

1 comment:

  1. Remembering when I would answer for you....I guess what I really needed was a cute dog like Charlotte!!!!

    ReplyDelete