Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Something Old, Something New, Something Charlotte, Something Blue

Morning of the wedding
Evergreen, CO
After a year of planning, my sister married her dream guy. It was an epic wedding held in the lush landscape of Evergreen. A whole weekend full of family, friends, amazing food and some serious rain, this event will not be forgotten.

Originally, I had planned to bring Charlotte to Evergreen for the weekend. My parents rented a house on the property, right across from the venue. She'd be able to run around and go on walks. As the wedding drew closer, I second guessed my plan. There were no fences, what if she got out? What would she do during the wedding? Be stuck in her kennel?




Beautiful Bride

My mom, ever the one for advice, told me I'd have more fun without her. Afterall, my sister would only get married once and I didn't want to be distracted, did I? DID I? So I started to figure out a new plan. I called a couple doggie overnight care places to price them out. One of them offered phone calls so parents can talk to their pets. Oftentimes it's harder on the parents than the dog, or so I'm told. At that point, I lost it. Tears started streaming down my face and I just looked at Charlotte. I think I said something like "You don't even know why I'm crying. This is ridiculous." In her sweet Charlotte way, she looked at me and cocked her head back and forth.

 At that point, Barry came home and I had to tell him why I was so upset, reliving my humiliation. Leaving her with strangers, even if they were dog lovers/experts, was not what I wanted to do. Then my friend, D, called me and I told her the situation. "What? I'll take her for the weekend. Don't send her to a kennel." Relieved, I thanked her and the plan was in place. (Yay for sweet friends!)




Chillin' at D's house

I spent three nights up in Evergreen without wondering if Charlotte was okay. Friends I hadn't seen in years greeted me and then asked if Charlotte was around. They couldn't wait to meet her. Nope. That weekend was about my sister and starting a new life with her man. I wouldn't have missed a moment of that for anything.

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand the dilemma, but the weekend moved at lightning speed and you were right, you wouldn't want to miss a moment of it. Thank you D for allowing Jul to have this special weekend without any worries....tho I did bring in Front Range Nannies for a couple of toddlers. I wonder what they would have thought of caring for Charlotte:)

    ReplyDelete